Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Tech Tuesday

Happy first Tech Tuesday blog!
It wouldn't be the year 2014 without a little help from technology during our workouts. Since I'm not the biggest proponent of technology, I will just start off with the things that I regularly use and couldn't get along without during my workouts.

I am a huge fan of my Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor. It took me several weeks of researching to decide what gadget was going to get me the best results for the money. Since I didn't want to over spend, I settled on the Polar watch with heart rate chest strap.

So far, this monitor has been the most accurate for calorie burns that I have found. Of course, there are more expensive versions that are even more detailed and will give you VO2 (pulse Oxygen), but who really has the money for that. I'm not training to be an athlete, so I'm ok with just monitoring calories and heart rate. I've actually gotten so interested in calorie burn, that I wear it when I'm doing different activities other than working out. I'm not talking all the time while I watch TV, or see how many calories I burn while vacuuming, I'm not crazy. I'm just talking about when I walk the dog, or go hiking.

If you get this version, a few things that I had to learn by trial and error. The chest strap can stop reading when it's clogged with salt (from sweat). I wash my strap with gentle hand soap after every workout. I remove the monitor with the battery first, or course, but the rest can be submerged in water. It is my understanding that these monitors can be used while swimming, but I don't take the change by exposing it to huge amounts of water. Also, prior to wearing, it's very important to saturate the heart rate band before putting on. This can be a little uncomfortable in the colder temperatures, but for the most part, it's not a big deal. And lastly, I don't wear the monitor directly in the center of my chest. I actually move it a little to the left. Since my heart is on the left, it just seems to make sense. I have also noticed that the readings have gotten more accurate. All things that seem completely logical now.

All in all, this has been a great gadget to add to my nutritional routine. Has helped me add the calories I need for energy, without confusing my hunger and over eating. If you are serious about your workouts, I suggest adding this to your regime.

Below is the exact watch I purchased from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1403709479&sr=1-1&keywords=polar+heart+rate+monitor

No comments:

Post a Comment