Monday, June 30, 2014

Tech Tuesday

Another tech tuesday here. I don't really use a lot of gadgets when I workout but I'm going to throw in my use of the elliptical machine.
Being a runner for the last 6-7 years started to take a toll on my knees. That and the fact that I wasn't getting any younger. After so many issues of shin splints, tight muscles, knee aches, etc. I decided to hang up my running shoes and just focus on cardio and strength training. That is when the elliptical became my best friend. 
I do the elliptical 5 times a week. 3 days a week I use it for interval training. I do a few sets of weight lighting, then I jump on for 2-5 mins to get my heart rate back up. 2 days a week, I focus on a 30 minute cardio routine that goes something like this…

Warm - up - 5 mins at Level 3 resistance (5 mins.)
Going forward -2 mins - Level 6 resistance (7 mins.)
1 min - Level 14 resistance (8 mins.)
(repeat two times) (14 mins.)

Going backwards - 2 mins - Level 6 resistance (16 mins.)
1 min - Level 14 resistance (17 mins.)
(repeat two times) (23 mins.)
Cool down - 5 mins - Level 0 resistance (28 mins.)

This workout is just shy of 30 minutes, but the changing intervals and resistance is a butt kicker. I multiple times of elliptical workouts to keep myself from getting bored. Some involve sprints, some involve using the handles, etc. I try to keep my mind and body from getting bored on these one, and it seems to be helping. 

Using the elliptical has been much easier on my joints. There is less resistance and no impact from hitting the pavement. Since I started using the elliptical, my joint pain and muscle tightness has gone away almost completely. The only soreness I am getting is a direct result from lifting weights. 

If anyone is interested in finding out about different interval training for any other pieces of equipment in the gym, let me know, I have several workouts that I use for several different pieces of equipment. 

Happy sweating!


No comments:

Post a Comment