I did! I'm not going to say it was easy, because it wasn't. It was basically the most horrible week I have had in a long time. I had constantly told myself, "you only have one soda a day, you work out all the time, what harm is it really doing?". I kept giving myself excuses just to continue to feed into my want for the sugar and caffeine.
I started changing my mind when I watched a Netflix documentary called, Forks Over Knives. While I don't agree with everything the documentary had to say about nutrition, there were a lot of really great stone cold facts. Including just how terrible for you, sugar and high fructose is. It's not like I didn't already know this stuff, EVERYONE hears about it, I was just happy living blissfully blind. Out of sight, out of mind, right?
Below is the info on the film:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1567233/?ref_=nv_sr_1
After getting some enlightenment, I stopped drinking soda. COLD TURKEY! I didn't replace my caffeine, I didn't taper, I just quit! I am not a coffee or tea drinker, so I was quitting everything. I craved soda for 7 days straight. Literally, 7! It's all I wanted, I noticed I was a little hungrier because my body was craving the constant sugar. Not to mention the caffeine withdrawal headaches. But the head seemed like a piece of cake compared to the lack of sugar.
On the second day of "withdrawal", I crashed after work (thank goodness it was a day I didn't have clients), and I slept for 13 hours….straight! But, by the 8th day, I wasn't feeling sluggish, I didn't have the headaches, and the cravings were all gone. I even stopped bloating and my tummy slimmed down. That's what ALL women want!
I couldn't help but wonder what I was putting my body through when I was drinking soda all the time. If this is how it reacted off of soda, what could it possibly be doing to my organs. Then I read this article:
http://dailyburn.com/life/health/sugar-bad-for-you-health-effects/?partner=shape&mtype=14&utm_source=shape
Turns out, sugar acts like a drug. You eat things that taste good because it releases endorphins, therefore, you body starts to crave sugar. Sounds a little too methy for my taste.
I have switched up my routine and have started drinking fruit infused water. It really gives me the sugar in a healthier way (easier sugar to break down and burn off), and it also keeps water from being so boring all the time. The infused water helped the sugar cravings that long first 7 days. As of now, it's been one of the best decisions I've made for myself & it's a lot easier for me to train others & give advice when I'm following my own advice. Turns out, I've managed to inspire two of my clients to stop drinking soda.
BUT, if there is ever a healthy soda invented, that doesn't destroy your body with refined, processed sugars, etc. HOOK IT TO MY VEINS!
Happy Workouts!
Susan
No comments:
Post a Comment