Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Tech Tuesday

Ok, so I know there are a lot of gimmicky equipment out there, and it's even possible that I use one. It would have to be the Omron Body Fat Monitor. It's not incredibly accurate, but it's pretty close. And when I use it, I use it sort of as a guide. I tell all my clients, this isn't exact and we may or may not see changes in it. That is why, when I do a consultation, I don't just measure the body fat %. I also take measurements of the body & I evaluate current physical fitness. So if the scale doesn't go down, or the numbers on the monitor don't seem right, I remind the client, BUT you have lost inches! OR remember on day one when you could only do 15 sit ups in 60 secs? Now you can do 40?

It's another way of showing results & keeps people from being so focused on numbers. I don't rely solely on the monitor, but I do use it as a tool because some people need to see numbers as part of a change.

I found this article about the exact Omron monitor that I use, from the New York Times archives. It's an article from 1998, so I'm sure that the models have gotten better with technology developments, but what I thought was great about the article was how it explained body composition and how it's even possible to use something so simple to collect body composition data.

If you are training with someone, don't let them pigeon hole you into numbers. And don't put yourself down because you think there are no results. If you are consistent, the results will show in your strength and endurance.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/12/24/technology/from-many-devices-that-measure-body-fat-many-answers.html?src=pm&pagewanted=1

Enjoy the article. HAPPY WORKOUTS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment