Wednesday, July 30, 2014

My typical workout for….core

Here is the last entry for the typical workout that I personally do. The following exercises are what I do when I'm strengthening my core. Many of these moves can be modified for beginners and intensified for the expert.

I usually start by doing squat with a knee raised core twist. This exercise really gets my core activated from the beginning and I love working for than one muscle group at a time. And as most people know, squats are my favorite exercise anyway. This move can be done as pictured below or you can add weight. I typically use a 10 lb weight to help enhance my core twist.

http://www.shape.com/exercises/squat-knee-lift-twist

I will follow this up with crunches with a chest press. This move always gives me a burn and it also works the chest. I am a lover of working more than one body part, if you haven't noticed. Below is a picture. I usually do this move on the floor, but the bench is also acceptable if you want more range of motion in your arms.


Another move that I do regularly are chops. The video below is just the chops, but I typically add a lunge to make the move more intense. If you are a beginner, this move can be done without a weight & then you can gradually add resistance. 


And last but not least....PLANKS!!! I add them to the end of all my workouts, no matter if I'm working core or not. 

These are just a few moves that I typically do when I'm working my core. And of course, I do this in circuits, so I do a few strength training moves and then shoot my heart rate up with some cardio. When I'm limited on space or don't have access to cardio equipment, I do a simple high knees or jump rope. 

Hope this gives you some ideas & you find it helpful. 

HAPPY FITNESS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment