Since I've been asked about my workouts lately, I'm breaking down the moves that I usually do and giving some insight. I discussed my arm workouts last week, so today I'm talking about the lower body. & what I do to maintain and build muscle.
I start all my workouts with a warm-up. Lately I've been doing 2-5 minutes on the elliptical, then I do some arm circles and hugs to loosen up my arms. Then I start my strength training. I do most of my workouts in intervals because I enjoy it more & it burns more calories.
Squats! I can't express enough how great squats are, when done correctly. I avoid deep squats because I don't want to injure my knees & since I'm not doing any power lifting, the 90 degree angle squat is just perfect for me. I currently hold a 10 pound kettle bell when I do my squats and I do 2 sets of 25. When I'm having a really good day, I will either load the weight or add another 20-25 squats.
Here is a link for perfect squat form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXJzj9K3sxU
Next I will do jump lunges. These are difficult because it's slightly aerobic and the work from the legs is more aggressive than a typical lunge. But don't disregard the typical lunge, it will get your heart rate going and start defining muscles just as well. Since I'm more advanced in my moves, I add a level of difficulty, but believe me, I didn't start here.
I do the switch jump lunge & I hold 5 pound weights in both hands. Currently I do 25 of these, but I add reps to this exercise when I don't feel enough muscle fatigue.
Below is intermediate and advanced forms for lunge jumps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjmQTYWyfpI
I will usually do 3 different exercises and then I will get on the elliptical for 2 minutes. When I do my cardio, I go as fast and as hard as I can for those 2 minutes. This is the interval part of my workouts and I want to get my heart rate up. I don't usually set any resistance and my incline is usually just at 10. But if I get antsy with my workout and start to feel bored. I will change things up to what feels comfortable.
A few more moves I do are for the inner and outer thighs. I usually bust out my Jane Fonda for this. Jane Fonda videos are the early plyometrics of the 80s. I know they look funny, but I get out on that mat & I will actually do these exercises. Some times the oldies are the goodies. You can't mess with something that works.
Below are links to a few examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0M1huILDjk
This is just a little taste of what I do in the gym, or at home, or outside. I pretty much do exercises that I can do anywhere so that there are no limitations put on me.
How these are helpful & remember, let me do that hard work and put together a fitness plan for you. Who has time to do that when you can pay someone else to do it?
www.susanwilsoncpt.com
HAPPY FITNESS!
No comments:
Post a Comment