Thursday, April 23, 2015

Beat the Bus!

The run was a lot more of a challenge than I was expecting. The humidity and heat was something this midwestern girl forgot about over the winter. So when I walked off the plane and that 90 degree temperature hit me in the face, I knew I was in trouble.
I maintained a healthy diet the day before the race, making sure to hydrate and eat lightly. I personally don't "carbo load" prior to races. I'm not running marathons, so it's really not necessary. I stuck to my fruits, veggies, and chicken. I also stayed away from the alcohol. Which proved to be a good decision come race day, given all the people who were dropping on the course due to the dehydration.

The morning of the race started off great. I had gotten a complete nights sleep in paradise and I was only feeling slightly nervous. I had everything laying out, including my shoes, running shorts, shirt, etc. Everything I needed to run this race. I was so ready!
We called a taxi to take us the start of the bridge, since our condo was 7 miles away from the start line. My friend Chad was already there and waiting on me, so I was feeling a little anxious. As the fiancee and I are getting out of the cab, he says, "don't forget your bib". And that is when everything stopped. I HAD FORGOTTEN MY RACE BIB IN THE CONDO!!! The race was going to start in 20 minutes, the security was intense, they didn't let anyone without a bib even look at the start line. Of course, the anxiety I was feeling from pre race jitters caught up to me and then the melt down began. And since it seemed like the problem solving thing to do, I just cried....
Kit says, "can you please take us back to the condo, she doesn't have her race number and she can't run without it". To which point the cab driver says, "are you serious?!". Kit points to me and says, "does this look like the face of someone who is kidding?". 

The cab driver busts a U turn, and drives 70 mph back to the condo. Kit grabs the bib and jumps into the cab, which had started driving away before the door was even closed. I arrived at the start line with 2 minutes to spare. 

The gun goes off and the race begins. I set a pretty even pace, but with the humidity and the sun beating directly on me, mile 2 started to catch up to me. This is a lag that I don't start feeling until mile 4 or 5. Then I hit the hill....
It's as terrible as it looks, and for the first time, I walked during a race. So yes, I walked up that hill, but I made up time on the way down, don't worry. I'm not a complete newb! At mile 3, that's when the migraine started. The heat was beating me and I just wanted to stop. But right after mile 3, they set up ice cold sponge stations. Say WHAT?!
That is correct, ice water soaked sponges!
I put that thing on top of my head and soaked the top of my head. It was great! Probably the best thing I have ever done...at least in my mind at the time, it seemed that way.
That sponge helped me keep going, literally. Not long after, I noticed that there was a finish line in the distance. I couldn't have been more excited and decided that I was going to finish strong, so I kicked. Got to the finish line, only to realize that I had only made it to mile 5! It was just a water misting system that they placed on the course to cool down the runners. Made by a fire man's ladder that had a sign that said, "keep truckin" and not "FINISH". I didn't find the humor in the word play and to say I was disappointed is an understatement. I was so emotional about it, I wanted to break down, I just wanted to stop. But that is what makes a runner different from other people, a runner just keeps going.

The last 2 miles were the hardest and I'm sure a lot of it was due to the heat, since I managed to run a 6 mile in 60 minutes in 50 degree weather the week before. I crossed over the finish line at 1:17:36. I couldn't have asked for anything better. They had several buses at the finish line to pick up anyone who didn't make it in the qualifying time, and I'm proud to say, I beat the bus.
And I have a medal to prove it.
All in all, even with the strained hamstring, the heat rash, and the emotional roller coaster, it was an amazing race and I was so happy to finish. What an experience!

Now, to add 3 more miles before November's Perfect 10 Mile Race. And only 4 more miles to that half marathon goal. Look out!

Happy running!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment