It's getting to be about that time. I am going to be running the farthest distance I have ran to date. On Saturday, I will be running a 7 mile race across the 7 mile bridge in Key West. 7 miles never seems very long until you look at it from this point of view.
Then you start to think, "what am I thinking?"
I started having issues with my hamstring about a month ago, making me miss runs and making me think the race might not be a possibility. I ran 6 miles last Saturday morning and felt like I could've really pushed myself for that last mile. And I'm sure that's what will happen, as I get through that 6 mile mark, I'm going to really be struggling and have to pull deep from inside to finish. But isn't that the point of it all?
Push yourself to do things you wouldn't normally do? Get better, faster, & stronger?
Maybe that's just me. Pushing myself all the time.
When I was a kid, I always wanted to be on the track team with my friends. But my asthma and heart condition kept me from it. Like most things, I outgrew the physical issues I was having and they became something that I could manage while being physically active. Now at 31 years old, I find myself trying to live that dream of running track, just like I wanted to in high school. Maybe that's why, during most years, I will run up to 10+ races. Seems a bit extreme, but to me, it's just my adult track meet. Surrounded by my peers and competitors, who may be stepping on that course for the same reason I am.
I may not be the first person to step over the finish line on Saturday, but I know I'm going to finish. And let's be real, because of that runner high, I'm going to feel like this...
Who cares if I actually look like this....
Happy running!
~Susan



No comments:
Post a Comment